Supporting Indonesia in implementing its policy objectives with regard to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA) and broader trade facilitation issues, and enhancing technical expertise and skills to handle complex trade remedy cases
The coordinating body for these two components is the Ministry of Trade (MoT) through two Directorates. The Directorate of Facilitation of Export & Import is the primary focal point for trade facilitation and WTO TFA implementation. The Directorate of Trade Defence is the primary focal point for trade remedy support.
Support trade facilitation in the context of the WTO TFA implementation
- Compliance with specific WTO TFA requirements and private sector capacities enhanced in trade facilitation.
- Enhance the institutional capacity of the National Trade Facilitation Committee (NCTF) and its coordinator MoT/DGFT, which is tasked with coordinating and monitoring the implementation of the WTO TFA in Indonesia.
- Contribute to the implementation of the WTO TFA commitments, particularly in risk management, advance rulings and notifications for enhanced controls or inspections.
- Raising the awareness of the private sector to take full advantage of trade facilitation at both export and import.
- Enhancing capacity for improved case handling, investigation processes, policy frameworks and responses to third party investigations in trade remedies.
- Ensuring high quality and efficient case handling and investigation processes.
- Enhancing capacity to apply countervailing measures to counteract subsidies that enable products to enter the domestic market at artificially low prices.
- Improving the policy framework of trade remedies in respect of the socio-economic impact assessment of trade remedy actions.
- Strengthening the capacity of Indonesia’s public and private sector to respond effectively to trade remedy investigations initiated by other countries on Indonesian exports.